Friday, September 28, 2012

Flashback Friday

I have quite a backlog of projects that I never blogged, so I thought I'd bring some out here every once in a while. Today's is one of my all-time favorite projects.

One of our very good friends was married last spring, one day after our babies were born. Obviously, we were unable to attend the wedding. I knew that we probably wouldn't get to go based on my due date, so I wanted to make them an extra special gift. A quilt was my immediate thought, but what kind? What colors? They don't live very close and we don't get to see them often, so I wasn't sure exactly what their tastes were. However, some snooping on their wedding registry revealed that they were registering for Fiestaware - one setting each in a variety of colors. I grabbed my smartphone and headed to the Kona section at JoAnn's. I chose 8 colors and Kona Snow.

Scott's wedding quilt

I used this great pattern from Fat Quarterly, and whipped up this baby! I had some trouble with the strips biasing, so I wasn't able to get the requiste number of strips out of my piecing, but I don't think it made a huge difference. If I made it again I think I'd just piece the squares - which I really enjoy doing. I had trouble wrangling the strips on my cutting mat as well, so piecing the squares would be much easier!

I quilted it with straight lines .25" away from each seam. Scott is a musician, so I incorporated that into the label.

Label for Scott's quilt

They loved the quilt - they said that they had gotten another quilt that they were fighting over, so they were glad to have two!

No comments:

Post a Comment